Translate

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Playing Catch-up With Myself: September. BC (Before Covid) -- Magnolias in the Rain

 A not-so-perfect winter's day at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, very early in September...




Before the pandemic became utterly real and unavoidable for us -- in other words, Dave caught the virus at work, brought it home, and we all got it -- we managed to do a few very nice trips. Each September and October, Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens comes alive with the scores of Magnolias ... but this year I thought we wouldn't get anything, photo-wise, because the weather was horrible. That's too mild a word. The third consecutive La Nina winter was so grey, cold, meh, I came down with a terrible case of SAD even before I had the vaccine that made me so ill, in August. 

(Note to self: I should have blogged all this as it was happening. What's a blog, if not a journal? Dang. Insert eye roll emoji.)

So, when the weather halfway cleared right at the beginning of September, since I was mostly recovered from the vaccination, we thought ... why not? Pack up the cameras and head for the hills. By that time, even Mike was fed up enough of the weather to come along. 

It was actually raining when many of these images were captured. I've learned to carry wads of kitchen paper in the coat pockets, and thoroughly dry the zoom barrel before letting it retract back into the camera -- which keeps the inside of the camera dry and preserves your lens. Duh. You only get caught that way once.

So -- magnolias, rain, cockatoos, a good walk (though I was soooo breathless on the hills: the vaccine had already done a number on me before I got Covid proper). One survives...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...