Translate

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Farewell to a twentieth century icon





This week marked the passing of an icon. Kirk Douglas lived to be 103, and it feels strange, waking up in the morning to a world in which he's absent. I could say I was literally born with this man ... my mother took herself to see The Vikings just two days before I was born! And yes, I do know it had an X-certificate at the time (odd, since it screens on TV with a PG rating now. How the world has changed!) 

A few years ago, while her eyesight wasn't too bad, she had me do some screen captures from the classic of 1957/58, and print them out for her album. The Vikings was always her favorite Kirk Douglas film -- mine too, actually, though I appreciate many of his movies.

Goodbye to a Hollywood hero who once set the benchmarks. With the slightest bit of luck the rainbow bridge is right ahead.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...