Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A walk in the woods, in a welcome break from the January heat







Unexpected and very welcome rain in January brought the Sturt River alive, and Coromandel Valley's beautiful Linear Park was a pleasure to walk. I hadn't intended to take photos yesterday, because I've photographed every meter of the park so many times, in every season, every lighting condition. In fact, I wound up taking over a hundred shots, of which these are the pick.

I'll always remember this walk (and the next, a couple of hours later, when we arrived at Belair NP and walked the "back trail" from The Oaks to the Railway Dam and back), as an an oasis of green in the midst of a blistering summer, three years into a catastrophic, nationwide drought, on a continent that's seemed to be on fire and gradually turning itself to ash.

Of all the bushfire photos and videos -- and there have been hundreds, if not thousands, this one is the one that's haunted me:


I don't believe I've ever seen anything, ever, to compare with this. Turn up the sound, and invest twelve minutes in this. Then salute our fire crews.

On the Railway Dam walk, I took many more photos, and I'll post again in a few days, when I've had a chance to sort them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...