Translate

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Thought of the Day

Here's the weirdest thing. When poetry comes to me (and it doesn't very often), it's usually while I'm under the shower, washing my hair, no chance to jot it down. By the time I get out of the shower, it's usually gone. Something unique to my brain structure, I suppose.

But this silly little ditty stayed with me for long enough to get it typed, LOL ... I said poetry.  I didn't say anything about it being spiritual, romantic or meaningful...

There's a daft old saying, "Life is just a bowl of cherries" -- it became a song (Lew Brown / Ray Henderson); Judy Garland recorded it in 1956, for a start! Doris Day sang it, about ten years later. Google it: I kid you not. But forget the song. Go back to the daft old saying which inspired it...



Life is just a bowl of cherries:
Twenty bucks per kilo.
I don't know if you have the cash,
Or even how you feel; oh,
If I had the price of cherries
Every day, to munch ...
Life would be a perfect breeze.
And I'd be out to lunch.

Sorry for that. But I'd surely like to have the $140 a week. I wonder how much cherries cost, in 1956?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...