Translate

Thursday, December 21, 2023

That feeling that maybe you just bit off more than you can chew...

 

Well, it seemed like a great idea -- and it is -- but it also seemed like a simple idea that could be executed in no time at all. At that was the big mistake. A brand new gallery site for my art, photos and writing ... why not? And while I was building the template, oh yes, it was easy. No problem at all. Then came the task of feeding in the content, at which point I realized that every topic (such as Fantasy, Science Fiction, what have you) will have to be multiple pages, because images that are too large aggregate into massive downloads per page, which is ... not good. So...

...we soldier on through the project, but rather than it being simple and easy, it's turned into something of a nightmare. Not because the work is especially difficult (it isn't), but because there's so much of it, I could spend six or eight hours a day on it -- for weeks. In other words, yep, you bet, the gallery site is going to be brilliant. It just won't be happening as quickly as I'd thought it would. I simply underestimated the amount of time this monster was going to take! Still...

...if I can just get there in the end, through sheer stubborn persistence, you can see the viewing experience this website will offer. It's a gallery to be proud of, and, like the blogs I'm working on, it'll properly represent me and my work. The gallery that is currently online is very old. The newest art on it goes back to 2012, and everything in those days was a bit primitive and "undercooked" by comparison with what we're all doing now. Yep, I've known for a long time, this needed to be done, but ... I suppose some part of me suspected what a monster it would turn into into, and kept putting it off, and putting it off again, till -- here we are. Argh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...