Translate

Monday, April 13, 2020

When I am old (and no, it's not about wearing purple!)




When I am old as old can be
And every year has passed me by,
I hope to sit beneath my tree,
This oak I grew; how times does fly!
            Once, it was young and I was young…
            But it will thrive long after me:
            When I am turned to earth beneath
            The roots it wove, and all you’ll see
Will be fresh blooms, the brighter grown
For growing there, where once I lay;
And high above my tree will stretch
Its branches to another day
            But long before I take my rest
            I hope to sit where shade falls deep.
            I’ll knit, read, sing, till memory
            Has ushered me to gentle sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...